Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The Five Love Languages

This is a book written by Gary Chapman. It is about how different personalities express love in different ways. There are five different ways in which we speak our love. The five areas include: Quality Time, Words of Affirmation, Gifts, Acts of Service, and Physical Touch. There is a test online that you can take so you can know which love language fits you. Just go to http://www.afo.net/hftw-lovetest.asp and take the test!

Even if you do not buy the book it is really cool to know what language you speak. But the book goes into detail about your language and the others so that you can speak other peoples also. Knowing another persons language can help you show your love for them. If I love by doing things for you and you feel loved by me saying kind words than even if I love you, you are not feeling my love because we are speaking different languages. It is a great book... :)

So I took the test and this was my score:

Words of Affirmation 23% or 7 points

Quality Time 27% or 8 points

Receiving Gifts 0% or 0 points

Acts of Service 13% or 4 points

Physical Touch 37% or 11 points

My primary Love Language is Physical Touch and my second would be both Words of Affirmation and Quality. When I sit and think about it... It is dead on! I need the hand holding, hugs, cuddling, and even just that kiss on the cheek. During a movie I need to be next to you to feel your feelings for me. But at the same time I also need the words that say I think you are great and I need the quality time together. When I am interested in someone I try to spend as much time as I can with them. I like to know that they want to spend time with me also.

So I know what my Love Language is. It makes complete sense. I am now reading this book so that I can learn to speak someone else's. I want to be able to show the person I fall in love with that I love them. But in the way that they feel loved. I want to continue to love even after the honeymoon stage. I want the mature love that lasts forever.

1 comment:

  1. This book really makes sense. You can apply this technique to any close relationship (family & friends). I wish i would've read it sooner. Not only did i learn how i interpret love (my love language) but i also learned that i have to love people on their terms. Not everyone shows love the way i do. I'm find myself looking for signs of love languages with different family members, so that i can show them how much i love and appreciate them using their love language.

    ReplyDelete